Circa Theatre is home and host to New Zealand’s most influential theatre-makers. Circa has a nation-wide reputation for excellence, built on 40 years of professional experience. We have been champions of quality playwriting and performance since 1976, and we continue to take a leadership role; ensuring that theatre practitioners are well-supported so that they can make the best theatre in New Zealand.
Hundreds of productions have been presented by Circa. We have two performance spaces where 20-30 shows are staged each year, providing the Wellington theatre-going audience a very busy and diverse bill of entertainment!
Great theatre is a reflection of life and the human condition. It reflects true emotions and realities of the stories that we all share. When all the elements come together, something truly fantastic occurs: a connection between artists and audience.
Circa works with a wide range of collaborators. All of ours initiatives generally fit within our five main areas of focus:
- Supporting Professional Theatre Makers: we provide a high-quality professional environment for the production of shows of international standard. We work with the Theatre Artists Charitable Trust (TACT) to assist the financial feasibility of major theatre productions;
- Creating New Work: every year, Circa commissions, workshops, and develops new works by New Zealand playwrights;
- Facilitating Development: the Theatre is the hub for others who develop and nurture new work, such as the Matariki Development Festival, Theatresports, and Ahi Ka;
- Accessibility: Circa encourages accessibility to the arts for all audiences; with audio described performances, NZ sign-language interpreted performances, Relaxed performances, and by encouraging relationships with those who produce theatre specifically targeted to these demographics, such as production company Everybody Cool Lives Here.
- Education: we support theatre educators and schools with initiatives like the Young & Hungry Ambassador Programme and First Tuesdays schools programme. Drama schools throughout the greater Wellington region are supported with outreach programmes.
Our two performance spaces allow us to present an eclectic annual season of work, which includes a mix of popular and academic, comedy and drama, musicals and play readings, one-person shows and pantomime.
Circa One has a scale allowing for the epic, the spectacular, the dramatic and the hilarious. This year's Circa One season continues this tradition, presenting an exceptional line-up that will delight, transform, challenge and inspire you.
In Circa Two, the immediacy of the connection between artist and audience is paramount. The smaller capacity and intimate nature of the Circa Two space allows audiences to stay focused and observe actors at their most creative. The depth of that creativity is the main feature of this year's Circa Two programme; we have assembled a season of plays and partnerships that demand a high level of theatrical magic, subtlety and discipline from our practitioners.
Circa Theatre has charitable status. The Circa Council provides the overarching direction of the Theatre, and the professional members of the Council volunteer their time to do so. A small administrative team oversee the day-to-day running of the Theatre as well as supporting each show.
Circa’s programme is the life-blood of our theatre and the Circa Council is responsible for all programming decisions. They read a large number of plays each year in order to settle on a programme which strives to match our vision.
Our fundraising efforts are targeted on improving the facilities in the theatre, and supporting the production costs of the plays presented here.
The seats are the first step in a major building re-development that will be taking place at Circa Theatre over the next few years. We’ve been thinking big, and are very excited to let you know what we have been planning – Watch this space!